Friday, October 21, 2005

Reflections: My feet are already wet

I was out hiking last week, during the torrential northeast rains. Don't ask, I just really needed to get out of the house and into nature for awhile. At one point I was walking uphill through the woods on a trail that was rapidly turning into a creekbed. I reached a spot where the trail had ponded out. No way to go around. So I waded through. Had on good boots, but still got my feet wet. The rain got worse. The trail I was on was a loop- fastest way back to my car was to keep going forward.

Later, I had to cross another flooded area. I started to look for a way around- best thing I saw was a fallen tree that went most of the way across the water. Slippery, but passable. Then I thought "Why bother? My feet are already wet." And I waded straight through.

No one in this life is spotless. Everyone has problems, everyone makes mistakes. None of us have "dry feet." But so often, we try to deny those problems and procceed under the assumption that our lives should be perfect somehow.

I'm a klutz. If I had tried to walk down that slippery fallen tree, I probably would have fallen in and gotten wet head to toe, by taking a risky path in order to keep my feet dry.

But my feet were already wet. And I recognized that, and accepted it. And found a quicker path through the flood.

Now, if only I could do that with the rest of my life- accept that I'm not perfect (dry feet) and plow ahead without contortions, I would be better off.

Thus ends today's...whatever.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wurm42 said...

Mmmm...only took about four days for that one to publish. Eeeenteresting.

2:49 PM  
Blogger neophyte said...

dang it, Wurm, you made me cry

*sniff*

7:03 PM  
Blogger Kafaleni said...

A grand philosophy to have, Wurm. Now you have to create water-proof psychological boots so that the water you wade through doesn't change the essential you. If that makes any sense at all. Which is unlikely.

5:20 AM  
Blogger wolfie said...

I remember when I was a wee wolfie pup, jumping in puddles was the most fun part of rain. It still is. Mind you, not in my ho shoes, but if I'm wearing timberlands I still jump in um. Best part is, now that I'm a grown up (technically) I know how to jump to make a big splash in a particular direction.
Bwuahahaha

1:09 PM  
Blogger Wurm42 said...

Hmmm...waterproof psychological boots. You should be able to get emotional scotchguard to go with those, keep bad times from staining your psyche.

3:01 PM  
Blogger neophyte said...

*pays extra for the emotional scotchgaurd*

*loves everyone else a towel to dry their feet*

*goes puddle stompin'*

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home